Located right on the beach at Dayman Park, Hervey Bay, just a short distance from the Urangan Pier is the Neptunes Reef World Aquarium. Some of the highlights that the aquarium offers to visitors is the opportunity to get up close to the turtles and sharks. In the morning at 11am everyone who wants to can feed some lettuce to the friendly turtles in the outdoor tank. Be sure to give the turtles a nice backrub on the side of their shell as they really love this.
Feeding the Turtles
Reefworld Aquarium Prices (as at April 2012)
|Child (3-14 Years Inclusive)||$8|
|Child (Under 5 Years)||Free|
|Swim with Sharks||$50|
|Double Deal – Lunch & Aquarium – Adult||$30|
|Double Deal – Lunch & Aquarium – Kids||$17|
Lunch At Waterfront Restaurant
Once you purchase your entry ticket you can come and go as many times as you want to throughout that specific day. So if you want to head over to Urangan for some lunch then you can do that.
But a better option is to enjoy a delicious lunch at the Waterfront Restaurant onsite at the aquarium.
If you want to save some money then you can take advantage of the Double Deal offer, which is available from Wednesday to Sunday. This special deal gives you full-day entry to Reefworld as well as a freshly prepared meal, between 11.30am and 2.30pm, in the restaurant. For just $30 adults receive aquarium entry and a meal of your choice with a credit of $20 off the meal price.
A perfect time to relax and enjoy lunch is after the turtle feeding at 11am. So around 12 noon you can wander into the restaurant and over your meal and drinks. Then sit back, relax and take in the beautiful view of Round Island, Big Woody Island and National Park and, of course, Fraser Island in the background! Before you know it your meal will arrive and you can eat before heading back for the shark feeding at 2pm.
Remember that this special offer is only available Wednesday to Sunday and so you may want to take this into account when planning your visit to Reef World.
Times of Operation:
Daily: 9.30am – 4pm
Christmas Day: Closed
Anzac Day: 9.30am – 4pm
On the beach,
Urangan, Hervey Bay, Qld 4655
Phone: (07) 4128 9828
11am – Turtles
2pm – Sharks & Large Reef Fish
Feeding the Sharks
Then after lunch you can head back into Reefworld Aquarium for the opportunity to feed the sharks and large fish at 2pm. It all begins at the main indoor tank where anyone who wants to can take a piece of fish, climb up the ladder and feed the large reef fish by hand. It is quite exciting seeing the speed with which the large fish come to grab the fish! Next everyone heads outside to where the sharks and turtles are housed. Guests are given pieces of fish that can be given to the sharks, turtles and large reef fish in the outside tank.
Map – Neptune’s Reefworld, Hervey Bay
Colourful Fish at Reef World
Interesting Facts About Reefworld
- Reef World Aquarium was established over thirty years ago in 1979.
- Natural sunlight is used throughout for lighting.
- Sea water is used to keep the tanks full of healthy water with all of the nutrients necessary for healthy marine life.
- A sand filter is all that is used on the incoming sea water.
- The 2011 floods caused most of the live coral to die off due to the huge influx of fresh water from the Mary River.
- After flooding the salt level in the water inside the aquarium tanks drops drastically and this had a big impact on the health of the coral, fish and marine creatures.
- After the floods in 2011 many of the star fish, sea urchins and other marine life died due to the increase in fresh water and reduction in salt levels.
- Reefworld is amongst only a few aquariums around the world that rely on natural seawater and natural sunlight to keep the aquatic environment healthy.
Visiting Reefworld in the Rain
Even when it is raining you can still enjoy a fantastic day out at Neptune’s aquarium. The main tank containing a variety of reef fish is situated inside. The individual aquarium tanks and touch pool are also inside so you can wander around to your heart’s content without getting at all wet on a rainy day.
The restaurant also offers meals, snack and drinks throughout the day undercover for your dining pleasure.
During the turtle feeding at 11am and the shark feed at 2pm you may require an umbrella as the shark and turtle enclosure is located outdoors. So if it is raining then bring a couple of umbrellas with you and use these when you join in with the twice daily feedings.
All of the inside sections of the aquarium and restaurant are accessible by those in wheelchairs or with wheely walkers. There are also accessible toilets inside the main section of Reefworld.
There are 3 steps down to the section where you feed the turtles and sharks, but there is a viewing platform available for those in wheelchairs who are not able to get down to the lower level.
Reasons to Visit Reefworld, Urangan
- Centrally located
- 2 live feeds each day
- Entry tickets allows for free access in and out throughout the day
- Waterfront restaurant open for morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea 8pm to 4pm from Wednesday to Sunday
- Restaurant also caters for wedding receptions, birthday parties, functions and conferences
- Option to swim with the sharks is available
- Stunning live coral displays
- Unique design using natural sunlight and seawater
- Touch pool with a variety of marine creatures
- Feed and pat the turtles
- Feed the sharks and large, reef fish